Monday, August 23, 2010

SB 1070

I know most of you want to read about O and the twins and I promise I will get back to that!  But I have been meaning to do this post for a little over 2 weeks now so I needed to get it out there.

Most of you have heard of Arizona's SB 1070 and how it relates to illegal immigration in the state of Arizona.  I work about a 5 minute walk from the state capitol and the week leading up to the beginning of 1070 was nuts.  There were news vans and satellites, helicopters and protestors all over the place.  I tried to get some pictures so that you could get an idea of what it was like for those of us living through it.  I am not very political and I really try to keep politics off my blog but I am making a little bit of an exception with this post and I will only go so far to say that I was, and am, in support of SB 1070.

This first couple shots were taken as I was leaving my building.  You can kind of see how full the parking lot across the street is and some of the news vans.
Here are some of the protestors, although I think at this point the most controversial parts of 1070 had been halted by the judge on the case so I don't really know what they were protesting.
At one point there were 4 helicopters very close to my building and for those of you who are friends of mine on Facebook may have noticed one of my status updates complaining about how irritating it was.  If you look really closely you can almost see one of the other helicopters along with the one that was over our building (its down toward the lower left of the picture - small black dot). 
These shots are from the top of my parking garage.  It kind of gives you an idea of how close the capitol is.  It is the builing with the copper dome.  I also tried to get some more of the news vans to give an idea of how many were really there.
These rainy ones were just to show more of the news vans and the number of buses that showed up with people to protest.  I think there were 8 of these buses parked along the street.
Luckily our Capitol Police and Department of Public Safety did a really good job of keeping everything contained and under control.

No comments: